Monday, March 29, 2010

Shaking in your boots?

I wish I didn't have to do this, I really do, but I sometimes spend a significant part of the time available for courses in talking about ways to control nerves. There are lots and lots of methods, which I might go into later. But right now I'm a bit preoccupied with the cause. If the principle behind being nervous has to do with being "on show" and being judged, then we shouldn't really get over our nerves with more and more practice, but we do don't we, usually. I mean I'm just as much judged tomorrow as 15 years ago; because the audience is not the same, the subject is not the same. I'm the only one who's been part of the phenomenon for 15 years, for them it's maybe the first time they listen to me speak. They're judging away at maximum levels.

We clearly do get more comfortable with the situation after a time and after practice. We get used to it quite simply.  If we can do this on the longer term, why isn't it easier in the shorter term? [It is of course, but no-one can be bothered to practice enough.] Is it really better to wait 10 years to be more comfortable than to spend a few days practicing NOW?

Just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment